Cabelas - Should Allow Dogs in Store

I went to a Cabelas In Hoffman Estates, il one recent Saturday and my son asked if we could bring in our dog.They said yes.

When we brought him in a women emplyee told us it was a mistake and dogs are not allowd because they make fudge (this store does not have a restaurant). But, at the same time Cabelas had several dogs in the store near the front supporting a dog rescue. I told them Bass Pro Shops not only allow dogs but encourage dogs and they also have food being made and a restaurant. I buy a lot of items from Cabelas every year from guns to camping equipment to clothing, but I have made the decision not to shop Cabelas anymore.

I will go to Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain for now on instead of Cabelas.Sometimes it makes me courious as to who are the brainiacs in management who make poor, unintelligent decisions and still get paid?

review #341608
4 10 Helpful?
Had the same issue12 Comments11
Had an experience with Cabelas?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 26 #1012098

I have to agree with the original poster. Dog's should be allowed in. Using "food and nuts and the law" as an excuse is nothing more than eye wash. By law, dogs are not allowed in the areas where food is prepared and served- that is not the entire store. Bass Pro also has two restaurants within their stores and dogs are allowed.
From a business perspective: know your customer. I don't go to a hunting gear store to buy fudge. I do go there to buy hunting dog gear and everything else I need for hunting.
The allergy comment is also an excuse. The area within these stores is similar to an aircraft hanger. You would have as much chance have an allergic reaction as passing a dog on the street. Furthermore, are you not allergic to service dogs?
If you are allergic to animals, you probably don't hunt them. Who is the customer?
We go to Bass Pro because they do allow dogs and the gear is top notch. We visit any time of year due to these facts, even we are not in the market for gear. Therefore, that is where we spend our money. I'll only buy from Cabela's if it isn't somewhere else (rare) and I'll do it online.

Mar 15 #958689 Wheeling, West Virginia

The law is not a Cabelas policy. I worked for one for over 3 years. At our store its a state law to not have non service dogs around the store due to serving food. Not Cabelas policy but a state law that we have to follow.

PastEmployee 21

Nov 29, 2014 #907754

This was the right thing to do. They do make fudge/nuts and could have sanitary license fined or revoked for not following standards. Service dogs ARE allowed and are trained to "service" and not to cause messes! I commend the management for making the safest choice.. They have a lot to contend with and safety is huge for them. Don't make rude comments regarding management. They work so very hard there. I know because I worked at that very location for 6+ years. They take care or "customers" and "employees" and they go it well.
Probably best you shop somewhere else. I'm sure the staff is happy without disgruntled ones such as yourself.

Gunguy

Jul 23, 2014 #844807

If by law dogs are not allowed in places that make food what is your issue. Service dogs are allowed in places standard dogs are not.

Dec 05, 2014 #911284

Except, there are dog friendly restaurants that serve people food. That argument is invalid.
As a dog owner myself, this makes me mad. I have an 18 week old puppy who is very well behaved. I'm trying to socialize her as much as possible as I'd like to hopefully get her CGC certified. I get allergy problems, but if every store would just say "hey, pets are allowed in here", then that person could come prepared or shop online.

Jack of All Aces

Nov 29, 2013 #749525 Madison, Wisconsin

To heck with anyone with a pet allergies, I want my dog in the store! I'm more important than you are!!

1 0 Reply
LTCC

Sep 23, 2013 #720835

You probably wont be missed.

Nethan

Sep 23, 2013 #720753 Chicago, Illinois

Eww wouldn't want to see or step in your dog' *** or pee. Thankfully no dogs are let loose except help dogs. :p

Cabelasnomore

Dec 01, 2014 #908409 Elizabeth, Colorado

I completely agree. I will never shop at a Cabela's as well. I brought in my 8 week old pup because I couldn't leave her at home for extended period of time. They told me I wasn't able to bring in my pup even though she wouldn't even touch the floor. They recommended that I lock an 8 week old pup in their kennels outside. I would understand not bringing dogs in if this was a restaurant, but its a hunting and outfitter store. Here in Colorado hunting and skiing is the number one money maker for the state. I would have spent a couple hundred dollars on hunting stuff vs buying some fudge or something from their Deli. I will never step into their stores again. Hey Cabela's please stop using hunting dogs in your commercials if you won't even let them in your store.

Mar 30 #965878

I work at a Cabela's and I see plenty of dogs that aren't service dogs walking through the store or sitting in carts. We have a restaurant in our store. Some store managers may have different policies, I'm not sure. But people make a big deal over nothing. Sure I'd love to take my dog with me everywhere, but I can't and that's ok. But just because a store won't let me bring my dog in doesn't mean I won't shop there anymore. That's ridiculous.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.